Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Memory

So here's Maya's story about how we met, as I promised... It really... sounds nice you know?

She tells me about the day we met... We had met in a Diner, just like I had posted previously, that she was working at the time, she was living at home with family, and I was still at a point where I struggling to make due here in Tacoma, living check by check, living off  noodles and the like. so far this matches up.

It had been apparently one of those rare cases I could afford to go out to eat, and it was apparently breakfast, at the time I worked Graveyard for a steel factory, and frankly, the pay sucked at the time, so I had just scraped enough together to enjoy a proper breakfast, and there she was, talking about some concert she was saving up for, that she was probably not going to because of some dick she was dating at the time had been caught with, what she politely called "a former friend"

I remember that time well, the band was AC/DC... this would have place this day around December 2008, I was probably still wearing around that torn up dark grey coat, because I couldn't afford one, I can see my self as, well wearing aged clothed, faded pants, probably sporting a five o'clock shadow since I didn't shave daily back then, probably had some bags under my eyes since I was just off work, didn't work the next day, so I'd stay up and get some running around town, by bus of course, I couldn't afford the car yet, likely paying bills, and what have you.

I actually called bullshit as to what happened next, I remember myself being the listening type, not the speak up and butt into a conversation type.

I had reportedly said, sipping on coffee "Then why don't you take someone else, I mean you want to go to the concert right? Is the person going with you really going to make the concert that much better?"

Maya chuckles and said she must of had the biggest "what the fuck" face ever but she smiled "Oh and your bum ass would know about a getting cheated on?"

I laughed, probably sleep deprived "Oh you poor girl, if I look homeless to you then I really do need to go shopping for some new clothes" I must of been a riot at this point.

Now this next part sounds like me, "Okay kiddo, I know that you haven't joined the real world yet, if the best complaint you can come up with is 'oh no, I don't have a date to the concert this weekend', then you got it pretty easy. I work 44 hours a week at a steel factory, because my college grant didn't come through, so I can't even afford to move back home. This humble breakfast I'm finishing up probably took about 3 weeks to save up for. But hey, not being able to go see the Jonas Brothers because your boy toy was sucking face was 'Mary Rotten-crotch' is pretty serious though."

I'd feel pretty smug from just dressing a girl like that down, but then she asked me, in what I'm sure was in a way that would have blown my fucking mind at that point "Alright then, what are you doing this weekend?"

I blinked then asked "Why do you want to know?"

She had apparently then smirked this cute little smirk and asked "Because I'd bet your the type who'd like AC/DC"

Well of course at this point, I'm told it would have been rude to say no, I gave her the number to the shitty camera-less ten key to low tech for a color screen, cellphone I was using, she gives me the number for the clam-shell styled full qwerty keyboarded dual screened phone that was considered top of the line at the time. and I tell her "I'll let you know when I wake up, I'm going home and going to bed till later on today"




I'll pick her story up to that weekend another time, but I want to post some of my own memories to the blog in a day or so... About how I met my wife.

3 comments:

  1. I wan't to give you some profound advice, or a witty comment but, I've spent too long looking at these screens, maybe, order is merely the coincidence in chaos, no matter how improbable something seems doesn't make it un true.
    -Manic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories are tricky business, Patchy. Especially when you're not sure what's true. If you can pick through them, though-- I'm sure you'll learn something.

    I'm standing by for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already up by the time I post this, but I'm putting the common threads together bit by bit.

      Delete